Divers search U.S. warship’s flooded compartments for 10 sailors

Navy and Marine Corps divers will enter flooded compartments on the USS John S. McCain to search for 10 sailors missing after the destroyer and an oil tanker collided in Southeast Asian waters, the 7th Fleet said Tuesday.

The sea search by aircraft and ships from the U.S., Singapore and Malaysian navies will continue east of Singapore where the McCain and the tanker collided at daybreak Monday, the 7th Fleet said, but the shift of focus to the McCain itself is a blow to families still hoping for a miracle.

“Equipped with surface supplied air rigs, divers will access sealed compartments located in damaged parts of the ship” the fleet said in a statement announcing that divers had joined the search. “Additionally, they will conduct damage assessments of the hull and flooded areas.”

The collision tore a gaping hole in the McCain’s left rear hull and flooded adjacent compartments including crew berths and machinery and communication rooms. Five sailors were injured. The destroyer is now docked at Singapore’s naval base.

It was the second major collision in two months involving the Pacific-based 7th Fleet and the Navy has ordered a broad investigation into its performance and readiness. Seven sailors died in June when the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship collided in waters off Japan.

Megan Partlow of Ohio, who says her fiancee was on board the McCain, told The Associated Press in a Facebook message that they last communicated on Sunday and she was losing hope of seeing him again.

“My last text to him was ‘be safe’, which is the same way we end every conversation. I’m just ready for answers,” she said. The identities of the missing have not been disclosed but Partlow said her fiancee’s parents were in touch with the Navy’s family assistance center.

Navy Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, on Monday ordered a pause in 7th Fleet operations for the next couple of days to allow commanders to get together with leaders, sailors and command officials and identify any immediate steps that need to be taken to ensure safety.

A broader U.S. Navy review will look at the 7th Fleet’s performance, including personnel, navigation capabilities, maintenance, equipment, surface warfare training, munitions, certifications and how sailors move through their careers. Richardson said the review will be conducted with the help of the Navy’s office of the inspector general, the safety center and private companies that make equipment used by sailors.

The McCain had been heading to Singapore on a routine port visit after conducting a sensitive freedom-of-navigation operation last week by sailing near one of China’s man-made islands in the South China Sea.

The guided-missile destroyer and the Alnic MC oil tanker collided about 4.5 nautical miles (8.3 kilometers) from Malaysia’s coast at the start of a designated sea lane for ships sailing into the busy Singapore Strait.

There was no immediate explanation for the collision. Singapore, at the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula, is one of the world’s busiest ports and a U.S. ally, with its naval base regularly visited by American warships.

The Singapore government said no crew were injured on the Liberian-flagged Alnic, which sustained damage to a compartment at the starboard, or right, side at the front of the ship some 7 meters (23 feet) above its waterline. The ship had a partial load of fuel oil, according to the Greek owner of the tanker, Stealth Maritime Corp. S.A., but no apparent spill.

Several safety violations were recorded for the oil tanker at its last port inspection in July, one fire safety deficiency and two safety-of-navigation problems. The official database for ports in Asia doesn’t go into details and the problems apparently were not serious enough for the tanker to be detained.

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Unmarried single parents to become eligible for state support

The government has decided to ease financial burdens in child-rearing for unmarried single parents by allowing them to be eligible for the same tax deductions as those who become single parents after having previously married, ministry officials said Tuesday.

The Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare now plans to revise the law on child-rearing support to reduce fees for the use of childcare facilities by unmarried single mothers or fathers.

Currently, people who become single mothers or fathers after a divorce or the death of their spouse are eligible for lower fees for childcare or other relevant services as they are regarded as beneficiaries of state support for widows or widowers.

But those who become single parents without having been married are not eligible for such reduced fees.

The ministry plans to erase the gap through a legal revision to make the change take effect in fiscal 2018 starting next April, the officials said.

Fees to be lowered for single parents who have never married include those for the use of facilities for taking care of infants and children.

The ministry will also consider whether to allow similar reductions for their use of facilities for physically handicapped children or for medical services for children with intractable diseases.

The ministry estimates around 2,700 such single parents will become newly eligible for lower service fees through the envisioned law change. The ministry plans to include relevant expenses in its budgetary request for fiscal 2018.

According to the ministry’s triennial survey released in June, 13.9 percent of children under 18, or one in every seven, were in households living on less than half of the national median household disposable income as of 2015.

Especially, the “relative poverty rate” among single-parent households was as high as 50.8 percent.

As of August last year, around 20 percent of Japanese city and other municipal offices have taken their own steps to provide financial support for unmarried single-parent households.

In 2009, three women filed a petition for help with the Japan Federation of Bar Associations, claiming that their ineligibility for the widow’s exemption was discriminatory.

In 2013, the federation asked the central government and the women’s local governments to grant them the exemption.

© KYODO

Kyuso Nekokami, Tesla Doesn’t Know How To Cry., and More Perform on Premium MelodiX! for August 21

This week’s guest were Kyuso Nekokami, Macaroni Enpitsu, Watanabe Daisuke (D.W. Nicols), Awako Masayuki (Cocoroauction), and Tesla Doesn’t Know How To Cry.

Kyuso Nekokami – NO MORE Rekka Jisshaka

Macaroni Enpitsu – Natsu Koi Sensation

Watanabe Daisuke (D.W. Nicols) x Awako Masayuki (Cocoroauction) – Shonen Jidai

Tesla Doesn’t Know How To Cry. – Athens

Backup

Next week:

TBA

【何歳に見える?】あえて自分を老けて見せる男性モデルの実年齢がヤバい! あまりのギャップに驚く人が続出!!

モデルの仕事をしている人なら誰でも、少しでも自分を若く見せようと努力するのではないだろうか。だが、なかには人気を得るためにあえて自分を老けて見せ、注目されている変わり者のモデルもいるようだ。

そんな、普通の感覚に反することをしている男性モデルがネットで話題になっているのだが、読者の皆様は一体彼が何歳に見えるだろうか!?

・あえて自分を老けて見せている男性モデルが大人気!

米ニュースサイト『NEW YORK POST』によると、ネットで注目を浴びている「あえて自分を老けて見せている男性モデル」は、“ポーランドのヴァイキング” との異名を持つパウエル・ラジークさんだ。

白髪と白いヒゲ、超ムッキムキの筋肉が特徴的で、ボディビルダーとしても活躍している彼は、健康サプリメントやフィットネス関係の広告などでも仕事をしているのだとか。

・一体何歳に見える!?

鍛え抜かれた肉体は若々しいが、真っ白なヒゲと白髪のせいで、なんだかパウエルさんは年齢不詳な印象を受ける。彼の Instagram では、ユーザーから「歳はいくつなんですか!?」といった質問がよく投げかけられているようで、なかには「60歳ぐらいだと思った」とコメントするユーザーも。

最初、筆者が彼の画像を見た時は「おそらく40代後半か50代前半かなあ~」と思ったのだが、なんと彼の実年齢は35歳! 髪の毛とヒゲの色で、ここまで年齢を誤魔化せてしまうとは驚きである。

・他のモデルと区別化するために白髪に

なんでもパウエルさんは、数多くのフォロワーを誇るSNSユーザーや他のモデルよりも目立つために、髪の毛とヒゲを白に染めるようになったのだという。

実年齢と見た目のギャップから受ける印象はかなり強烈なようで、彼の Instagram のフォロワーは37万人を超えるほどの人気者に! 彼の狙いは、確実に功を奏しているようである。

すでに50~60代に見られているので、パウエルさんは、これから20~30年ほど “老け” を気にすることなく過ごせるのではないだろうか。

参照元:Instagram @pavel_ladziakNEW YORK POST(英語)
執筆:Nekolas

▼超若い奥様を連れているように見えちゃう!?

▼35歳のパウエルさんを60代だと思うユーザーも!

▼ダンディな50代男性に見えてしまうパウエルさん

Becky sings again, performs duet with Hiroaki Ogi at “Goddotan” SP

Talent Becky will be stepping on stage to sing again during the upcoming “Goddotan” SP. The episode clocks in at over 3 hours, and will be broadcast on Saturday, August 26th, via TV TOKYO.

One major segment of the show will feature various comedians and talents “battling” it out performing serious love songs. She’s joined on stage by Hiroaki Ogi, one half of the comedy duo OGIYAHAGI. Ogi who usually serves as the MC of the show, was invited on stage by Becky to the delight of the judges and audience. According to reports from filming the duo had one of the best performances from the night, causing the studio to tremble with applause and laughter. Other notable performances include a collaboration between former C-ute member Chisato Okai  & The Asagaya Sisters, and Makoto Ohtake who teams up with Taku Suzuki from Drunk Dragon.

Ever since Becky’s unforgettable scandal with Enon Kawatani, she has slowly began to rebuild her image as a television personality. “Goddotan” first aired in 2005, and 12 years later the shows popularity has continued to stay stable. This anticipated SP will without a doubt continue to help repair Becky’s “broken” image.

Becky originally began her music career during her debut year in 1999, where she released the single “Soratobu Pokemon Kids“. She released some more sporadic singles over the years, and then in 2009 started to release music on a more stable schedule under the name “Becky♪♯”.  Her last release was the 2013 best album “3Shine! ~Singles & More~“.

(via natalie)

【さすがセレブ】神田うのさんが娘の合宿先にヘリ移動 / ネットでは賛否の声が挙がる

14歳でモデルとしてのキャリアをスタートさせ、その天真爛漫な性格からバラエティー番組で一躍人気となった神田うのさん。2007年には大企業の経営者と結婚し、2011年には女児を出産。現在はセレブな一児のママとしても知られている。

そんな神田うのさんが、娘のバイオリン合宿へ出向いた際の写真をネットで披露。写真にはまさにセレブな乗り物が写っているのだが、それに対しネット上には賛否両論の意見が挙がっている。

・娘の合宿への移動にヘリコプターを使用

神田うのさんのオフィシャルブログによると、山梨県にある精進湖で娘さんのバイオリン合宿があり、家族揃って現地へ向かったとのこと。その移動手段に使った乗り物が、なんとヘリコプターだというのだ。ネット上を探ってみると、娘の合宿への移動にヘリを使ったことに対して、様々な声が見て取れた。

・ネットの声

「素敵です」
「素晴らしい」
「流石お金持ち!」
「ヘリで行くのがすごいね」
「私も神田うのの子供に産まれたかったなぁ」
「お金があって素直に羨ましいわ 」
「金ある人はジャンジャン使って日本経済に貢献してください」
「金持ちが散財してくれるのは良いことよ」
「子供が金銭感覚やちょっとした発言で友達のヒンシュク買わないか心配」
「本人が何しようが構わないが子供に贅沢はだめ」
「しくじりで金持ちアピールみたいなのやめるとかいってなかったか?」

「素晴らしい」「金持ちが散財してくれるのは良いこと」など、セレブぶりを肯定する意見のほか「子供に贅沢はだめ」といった否定的な意見も多く挙がっているもようだ。

・どんなセレブぶりを披露してくれるのかに注目

夫が大企業の経営者ではあるものの、結婚前からモデルやタレントとしてだけでなく、自身のプロデュースするアパレルブランドでも成功を収めている神田うのさん。もともと経済的に豊かな家庭に生まれたこともあって、一般人と価値観が違ってくるのは当然かもしれない。

参照元:Ameba「神田うのオフィシャルブログ」、Instagram @unokandaofficial
執筆:K.ナガハシ

▼ヘリを使うとはさすがセレブ!

Navies search for 10 U.S. sailors as 7th Fleet review ordered

Three navies searched Southeast Asian waters for 10 missing U.S. sailors for a second day Tuesday as the Navy ordered a broad investigation into the performance and readiness of the Pacific-based 7th Fleet after the USS John S. McCain and an oil tanker collided east of Singapore.

Aircraft from the amphibious assault ship USS America and ships and aircraft from the navies of Malaysia and Singapore were focusing their search east of the city-state where the two vessels collided around daybreak Monday at an approach to a busy shipping lane.

The guided missile destroyer is now docked at Singapore’s naval base and its crew is working on emptying compartments that flooded when the collision ruptured the McCain’s hull at its waterline, the 7th Fleet said in a statement. Ship repair divers have also started assessments of the hull, the statement said.

It was the second major collision in two months involving the 7th Fleet. Seven sailors died in June when the USS Fitzgerald and a container ship collided in waters off Japan.

“It is the second such incident in a very short period of time – inside of three months – and very similar as well,” Navy Adm. John Richardson, the chief of naval operations, told reporters at the Pentagon. “It is the last of a series of incidents in the Pacific fleet in particular and that gives great cause for concern that there is something out there we are not getting at.”

Richardson ordered a pause in operations for the next couple of days to allow fleet commanders to get together with leaders, sailors and command officials and identify any immediate steps that need to be taken to ensure safety.

A broader U.S. Navy review will look at the 7th Fleet’s performance, including personnel, navigation capabilities, maintenance, equipment, surface warfare training, munitions, certifications and how sailors move through their careers. Richardson said the review will be conducted with the help of the Navy’s office of the inspector general, the safety center and private companies that make equipment used by sailors.

There was no immediate explanation for the collision. Singapore, at the southern tip of the Malay Peninsula, is one of the world’s busiest ports and a U.S. ally, with its naval base regularly visited by American warships.

There was no indication the collision was intentional or that cyber intrusion or sabotage had occurred but the review will consider all possibilities, Richardson said.

The McCain had been heading to Singapore on a routine port visit after conducting a sensitive freedom-of-navigation operation last week by sailing near one of China’s man-made islands in the South China Sea. The collision between the guided missile destroyer and the Alnic MC oil tanker ripped a gaping hole in the destroyer’s hull on its port side aft, flooding adjacent compartments including crew berths, machinery and communications rooms.

It happened about 4.5 nautical miles (8.3 kilometers) from Malaysia’s coast but the McCain was able to sail on to Singapore’s naval base. Malaysia’s Maritime Enforcement Agency said the area is at the start of a designated sea lane for ships sailing into the busy Singapore Strait.

Janes, a defense industry publication, estimated the hull breach was 3 meters (10 feet) wide. The 7th Fleet said damage control efforts prevented further flooding.

Five injured sailors were taken to a hospital in Singapore for medical treatment.

One of the injured sailors, Operations Specialist 2nd Class Navin Ramdhun, posted a Facebook message telling family and friends he was OK and needed surgery for an arm injury. He told The Associated Press in a message that he couldn’t say what happened. “I was actually sleeping at that time. Not entirely sure.”

The Singapore government said no crew were injured on the Liberian-flagged Alnic, which sustained damage to a compartment at the starboard, or right, side at the front of the ship some 7 meters (23 feet) above its waterline. The ship had a partial load of fuel oil, according to the Greek owner of the tanker, Stealth Maritime Corp. S.A., but there were no reports of a spill.

Several safety violations were recorded for the oil tanker at its last port inspection in July, one fire safety deficiency and two safety-of-navigation problems. The official database for ports in Asia doesn’t go into details and the problems apparently were not serious enough for the tanker to be detained.

The Navy last week said the Fitzgerald’s captain was being relieved of his command and other sailors were being punished after poor seamanship and flaws in keeping watch were found to have contributed to its collision. An investigation into how and why the Fitzgerald collided with the other ship was not finished, but enough details were known to take those actions, the Navy said.

The McCain, based at the 7th Fleet’s home port of Yokosuka, Japan, was commissioned in 1994 and has a crew of 23 officers, 24 chief petty officers and 291 enlisted sailors, according the Navy’s website.

The destroyer is named for two decorated World War II admirals who were the father and grandfather of U.S. Sen. John McCain.

© Copyright 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.